An injured party is involved in an automobile accident caused by the fault of another. His health plan or automobile insurance carrier pays his medical bills for accident related treatment. Since he has a right to recover damages from the ... more
Where catastrophic and serious injuries are sustained, experts in the field of medical graphics are summoned to produce medical illustrations of the injuries. The above medical illustration depicts a T-12 burst fracture, surgical procedure, and ... more
Thousands of dog bites occur every year in the United States. Legal liability is determined by state law. In the State of Indiana, every dog used to be entitled to one free bite. In other words, the owner would have to know the dog had a ... more
You are driving your vehicle on a preferential road when you notice a vehicle approaching from an intersecting street. He is required to stop, but you notice that he starts to slow down and then suddenly accelerates into your path and impacts ... more
Every year in the United States there are thousands of collisions between trains and motor vehicles. Usually, the driver of the motor vehicle does not survive. If the crossing is controlled by an automatic signal, the train will typically ... more
Did you know...?
- The retention of an economist is required where an accident victim’s earnings are permanently lost or impaired. Often accident injuries are severe enough to cause permanent functional limitations. When these functional limitations interfere with an employee’s ability to earn income, an economist is retained to calculate the loss of future income. The economic loss is calculated in terms of present day value.
- You can purchase a flood insurance policy even if you don’t live in a federally designated flood zone. With the recent torrential rains, many people have experienced flooding in areas once presumed safe. A quick call to the City of Evansville Building Commission will reveal your assigned code which you can share with your local agent for a quote.
- A vocational assessment is required for accident victims who have permanent injuries that may impair their ability to earn income. The assessment is performed by a vocational expert. Factors such as prior education attainment and actual work experience are used for comparison with new limitations on ability to perform work. An economist is then retained to determine the present value of the future lost earnings.
- Uninsured motorist and underinsured motorist coverage is insurance you may purchase with your automobile policy that protects you from drivers who do not carry insurance or who carry insurance that is insufficient to cover the damage they cause. Unfortunately, seminars put on by traveling “financial planners” instruct people to drop this type of coverage to save premium dollars. However, the cost of this type of insurance is very nominal. Make sure your UM-UIM coverage is at least the same level of coverage as your liability limit on your automobile policy. In the event you are severely injured by an uninsured motorist or underinsured motorist, your own insurance company will step into the shoes of that driver and provide you the additional coverage to protect you.
- You should have a personal liability umbrella policy if you cannot pay a million dollar claim against you. In fact, when considering costs associated with catastrophic injuries, a million dollar policy may be insufficient. Make sure your policy includes uninsured/underinsured coverage to protect you and your family members from uninsured and underinsured drivers. Your local insurance agent is the best source of information, but I would be happy to answer any questions.