Car accidents are the top cause of personal injury lawsuits in the US, and also in Vanderburgh County, IN.
Car accidents can cause many types of injuries:
- Minor scrapes and bruises
- Neck and back injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
The most common types of car accidents are:
Rear End Crashes
There are six million accidents each year in the US, and 2.5 million of them are rear end crashes. The most common reasons for rear end crashes in Vanderburgh County, IN are:
- Drunk driving: Drinking slows reflexes and worsens judgment.
- Tailgating: You are required to stay a reasonable distance away from the car in front of you – enough space for you to stop safely. If a driver tailgates, he is not allowing enough space to stop if the car ahead stops quickly.
- Driver inattention: Distractions include cell phones, eating, talking, adjusting the radio, and other passengers.
- Weather conditions: Rain, ice, snow and fog can affect one’s ability to see hazards ahead.
Head On Crashes
Head on crashes are very serious accidents, because both cars are traveling in the opposite direction and collide at speed. The forces involved in a head on crash are massive, and many of these accidents result in death. Common causes of head on crashes:
- Fatigue: Many head on crashes are caused by drivers falling asleep and drifting into the opposite lane.
- Using cell phone: A distracted driver may also drift into the other lane and slam head on into another vehicle.
- Drunk driving: Every year, there are incidents of drivers entering the wrong direction on a highway and having a head on crash. Most of these cases are caused by intoxicated drivers.
T Bone Crashes
T bone crashes or side impact crashes also cause many very serious injuries, and often death. A side impact crash is caused by one car slamming into the other in a perpendicular direction. This type of crash causes the human body to be tossed violently back and forth. This can lead to very serious injuries: fractures, organ damage, broken bones, whiplash and death.
A very common cause of a side impact crash is failing to stop at a stop sign. This is why we are obligated to come to a full stop at a stop sign. Even a rolling stop can lead to a serious accident.
Another common cause in Vanderburgh County, IN is simply running a red light. Most drivers running a red light pick up speed as they go through the intersection, so a t bone crash can be catastrophic.
Parking Lot Crashes
At least 20% of car accidents occur in parking lots. Many of these accidents are only property damage related, but there are occasional serious parking lot accidents leading to injury and death.
The most serious type is a backing over injury. This is where a car is backing up and may not see the pedestrian, most often a child.